Aromatherapy long hours Massage
There is a good news, and a bad news. The bad news is that, according to the World Health Organization, mental illness is on the increase, and will be the major cause of disability or death by 2020. The good news is that more and more people choose natural methods of healing, rather than take prescribed medication.
Mental illness can mean anything from epilepsy, panic attacks, phobias to depression. Although some conditions do require medication or even hospitalization, there are many self-help tools people can use to relieve emotional discomfort, or improve their mood.
The increasingly stressful, and ever-changing world takes its toll on our mental health. The more energy we have to spend on dealing with stressful situations, the less energy we have to enjoy life.
Mental health is vital for our well-being because it directly impacts the quality of our life. Mentally strong individuals cope better with stress, physical hardship or illness, and are generally more positive about life. And if you are positive about life, you are much more likely to be happy.
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine which uses essential oils to treat a number of physical, mental and emotional problems (eg pain, poor concentration or anxiety). It provides a safe, natural and deep healing on all levels.
1. Pleasure centers of the brain are stimulated by the nerves in the nose that sense smell (inhalation method)
2. Hormones or enzymes in the blood are directly affected by essential oils (topical application)
3. Like most natural healing therapies, aromatherapy helps you achieve balance
Although on the increase, mental illness is not a new phenomenon. Depression, dementia, and phobias existed even in ancient times, only they were known by different names. Traditional healers treated such illnesses either with faith healing methods or with herbs. There is evidence that essential oils were used in Ancient Egypt, as well as in ancient India.
It has been scientifically proven that aromatherapy can help with some of the major mental health disorders:
- Anxiety is relieved by lavender essential oil, probably because it affects the mood
- Agitation in patients with dementia can be reduced by using lemon balm essential oil and applying it twice daily to the face and arms. Steam inhalation of lavender, can also help dementia patients
- Sleeping disorders can be improved with lavender and chamomile aromatherapy, because they promote deep relaxation
- Stress and anxiety relief are achieved with lavender, and bergamot essential oils
We are all different and some cope better than others. Being aware of early warning signs of a mental health problem (eg withdrawal, increased sensitivity, mood swings, panic attacks, illogical thinking, etc) is very important, because it can help prevent minor health issues escalating into serious mental health disorders. There are different treatments to choose from, but more and more people decide to try natural healing methods, mainly because they are non-invasive and promote self-healing.
Only organic essential oils which are 100% natural, are used for healing.
It has no side effects.
While pharmaceutical drugs offer fast relief from pain, inflammation or anxiety, they have many side effects, some potentially very serious. Organic essential oils are pure and 100% natural and come with no side effects.
If you can’t afford medical treatment, or if it is unavailable where you live, or if you simply want to heal naturally, then aromatherapy may be just the right thing for you.
Aromatherapy is not only natural, it’s very relaxing. And when you are relaxed, you worry less, you sleep better, and your mood automatically improves.
Conditions that can be improved with aromatherapy
Essential oils are plant essences containing molecules rich in antioxidants. Studies show that they have antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and stress-reducing properties and that they DO heal.
There are different schools of thought how to use essential oils and which ones are best for which disorders, but most researchers agree that aromatherapy brings natural relief for many mental and emotional conditions.
Essential oils can be used to treat a number of common problems:
- For de-stressing, relaxing, and insomnia, try lavender
- For depression, anxiety or grief, try rose
- For anger, shock and fear, try ylang ylan, or orange
- To boost your confidence, try jasmine
- For soothing your nerves, and dealing with phobias or panic attacks, try chamomile
- Work-related stress can be reduced with clary sage
- For depression, anxiety and SAD problems, try bergamot, it’s believed to be a natural Prozac
- To reduce irritability and confusing thoughts, try sandalwood
- To boost your confidence and soothe the mind, try patchouli
- When feeling low, stressed or overwhelmed with negative thoughts, try grapefruit
- To lift your mood and calm your nerves, try mandarin or lemon
How to choose and use essential oils
If you never used essential oils before, try to find out as much as you can about them, follow the instructions and don’t exceed the dosage. If applying them to your skin, make sure you use carrier oil. Or, consult an aromatherapist.
Many intuitives recommend that when choosing something, anything, be it clothes, food or essential oils, go with your instinct. There is a reason you feel drawn to a particular color, type of food, or scent. It’s usually something you need more of. So, unless you want to buy a particular oil to treat a particular symptom, when selecting essential oil, follow your gut. Select the color or scent you feel most attracted to, and you can’t go wrong. Or, buy a few and make your own blend.
Essential oils can be used in a number of ways, but are best absorbed through the skin (eg in massage or by applying a moisturizer), or through inhalation (eg with a diffuser or incense).
- For a massage
This can be a professional aromatherapy massage, or a self-massage.
- As a skin moisturizer, bath oil, soap, shampoo, compress
Many cosmetic products contain essential oils.
- By diffusion
You can use an Electrical Diffuser, essential oil burner, scented candles, spray, or you can apply few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and rub it on your pillow, or leave it next to your bed at night (or desk during the day).
Essential oil has the power to carry and transfer the concentrated energy of the plant’s healing and spiritual properties to the person it’s applied to.
Organic essential oil has a “life force” and possess homeostatic intelligence, that we do not fully understand. This means it works to restore the balance, and “knows” where in the body the balance needs to be restored. So, the same oil can lower or raise your blood pressure, and relax or energize you. Somehow, it seems to understand what you need more of, at that particular moment.